Follow

  • Facebook Social Icon

©2019 by St George's Church, Brockworth. Proudly created with Wix.com

Anglican parish church, consecrated 1142, rebuilt C14, altered andrestored c1847. Coursed squared and dressed limestone with anashlar tower. Nave with south porch, south transept and northaisle. Tower at the junction of the nave and chancel. Vestry onthe north side of the tower. C20 prefabricated extension to thevestry not of special interest. Projecting gabled porch probablyrebuilt C19 with diagonal buttresses and pointed entrance with adouble-chamfered pointed-arched head with a moulded hood and headstops. Monument to Elizabeth, wife of Peter Herbert of Hucclecoteand other members of that family on the left-hand return of theporch. South transept with a restored pointed 2-light window witha moulded hood and carved head stops to the south facing gable.Three-stage tower with C12 lower stages, upper stage rebuilt C19.External buttressed stair turret with a studded plank door within aflat-chamfered pointed-arched surround. Two-light window to theright of the stair turret with reticulated tracery and moulded hoodwith carved head stops; buttress with offsets to the right. Upperstage: 2-light belfry windows with hoods with carved head stops andbattlemented parapet. The belfry windows are set withinrectangular recesses with corbelled decoration at the top. Chancelwith diagonal buttresses. Two 2-light pointed windows with hoodswith carved head stops flanking a small studded priest's doorwithin a moulded surround between the two windows. Three-light C14east window with reticulated tracery and a hood with carved headstops. Two-light pointed windows with quatrefoils on the northside. Moulded eaves cornice. Lean-to vestry with plank door atthe'east end, within a pointed-arched surround with a hood withhead stops, now concealed by a C20 prefabricated extension.Projecting stack flanked by C19 trefoil-headed lancets. North wall.of the north aisle: two 2-light windows with hollow-mouldedmullions and surrounds with double cavetto and quirked mouldingsand quatrefoils flanking a studded plank north door with filletswithin a moulded surround matching that around the windows. Larger2-light window with a quatrefoil within a deep flat-chamferedsurround far left. Stepped coping with roll-cross saddles.Upright cross finial at the east end of the chancel.Plastered interior: 4-bay nave with C19 queen post roof trusseswith curved bracing; wagon roof to the north aisle. Probably earlyC16, flat panelled roof to the south transept with bosses andfrieze with vine scroll ornament in the south transept. Flat plankceiling to crossing. C19 wagon roof to chancel with a casement-moulded wallplate with ballflower ornament. Four-bay C14 navearcade with octagonal piers and bases on square plinths and mouldedcapitals with ballflower ornament and double-chamfered pointedarches. Double-chamfered pointed arch to the south transept. C12round-headed arch of three orders to the crossing with engagedcolumns with scalloped capitals; chevron decoration to the outerarches, roll-moulded inner arch. Plank door within a roll pointedarch from the north wall of the crossing to the vestry. C12chancel arch of two orders with chevron and roll mouldings risingfrom massive circular piers with scalloped capitals with impostswith inset corners. C19 wrought iron screen within the archway.C14 column piscina with a moulded arched head in the south wall ofthe chancel. Marble facing to the lower half of the walls withinthe santuary; statues of St. George with a crocketed canopy to theright of the altar, similar statue to the left. Piscina with aflat-chamfered pointed head within the south transept. Flaggedfloors to the nave and crossing, decorative encaustic tiling to thechancel. C12 tub font inside the south door. C19 organ in thecrossing. Two C19 seventeenth century style chairs; C19 Neo-Norman style wooden altar with three round-headed blind arches withchevroned decoration: figure of Christ surrounded by cherubim andseraphim painted on the central arch with the figures of two womenin the arches either side. Monuments on the nave south wall:Baroque monument to John Jones, died 1747 and Sarah his wife, died1776: lugged inscription panel, gadrooning across the bottom, eggand tongue moulded at the top, pair of winged cherubs and heraldicshield at the top. White and grey marble momument to the right toJohn Jones of Coopers Hill, died 1793. White and grey marblemonument to John Jones of Coopers Hill, died 1828. Three C20memorials below. White and grey monument to Elizabeth wife ofHenry Yates Jones of Droy's Court, died 1840 and other members ofthat family. Monuments on the nave north wall: monument to WilliamYoung, died 1762. Two early C20 on the east wall of the nave.Monument in the north aisle to Susannah, wife of John Lawrence,died 1724 and three children. Three heads representing thedeceased at the top, bolstered inscription panel with swags andflowers and scrollwork either side. Four skulls at the base. Twocommandment boards, probably C18 in date, with inset segmentalheads within the crossing. Five C19 simple marble monuments in thechancel. Fine marble monument to Christopher Guise, died 1670 withinscription in Latin: bust of the deceased inset into wallsurrounded by fruit and foliage, heraldic shield, crowned swan andcherubs at the top. Stained glass: C19 stained glass by Wailes inthe east window. C19 stained glass in the west window of the nave,one window in the nave south wall, and one window in the northaisle.

‚Äč

Courtesy of www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk